Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cha-cha-cha-cha-changes!

Well, sometimes you're the windshield, and sometimes you're the bug.

I've been toiling on a rewrite of an early novel of mine, trying to resurrect it. I've figured out why it doesn't work: I don't have enough research behind me to make it seem real. I need to go back and do more research, then come back and rework the novel to make it go.

Sigh.

The good news is that it is not time waisted. At least I know why it doesn't work. The trouble is the fix is going to take a lot more than I thought it would. The additional problem is since for the present I am living in Ecuador it makes researching things in the United States and Europe a little difficult.

Windshield wipers please, clean up the bugs.

The last two years I have been researching down here in Latin America for a book I'd planned that revolves around the Spanish conquest of the Incas. I had planned a final research trip to Cajamarca (Peru) in August to complete my preliminaries for the book, so I am changing gears. I'm putting the under construction novels in the drawer for awhile. I'm instead starting to do some detailed plotting and character development on my new novel. It has a working title of  "To the River Stained with Blood" which is taken from part of a quote attributed to the Huancavilca cacique Guayas just before he died.

No comments:

Post a Comment